Estonian-African Development Cooperation
Estonia – digital leader of Europe will make Africa – digital leader of the World
Within the last 20 years, Estonia has built a world leading digital society. Estonian ICT Cluster has started an initiative to support African countiries in the whole process of building a working digital society and growing a profitable business.
Building e-Estonia as one of the most advanced e-societies in the world has involved continuous experimentation and learning from our mistakes. That is why we are ready to lead by example and believe that we can help African countries to become a safe e-state with automatic e-services available 24/7.
We have experience in setting up an e-Government that works on a large scale
Our participants in our initiatives benefit from the end-to-end approach by:
- getting political and legal drafting consultation;
- receiving change management support;
- getting help with capacity building;
- technology implementation.
Some examples of projects implemented by Estonian ICT Cluster in Africa
Implementation of e-governance technologies in following countries:
- Kenya – mobile mapping and digital cartography building
- Tanzania – e-Justice solution development
- Nigeria – federal budget and human resources systems for the Government of Nigeria (in 2014 alone cost saving for the government 2.5 billion USD).
- Botswana – tax management and collection system
- Benin, Namibia, Tunisia – governmental interoperability framework and secure data exchange platform
- Cote d’Ivoire – piloting of education information system project
- May 2018 – participation in Transform Africa 2018. Estonian ICT Cluster presented e-governance competences during Transform Africa 2018.
- January 2019 (continuing) – project “Supporting implementation of e-governance technologies in African countries”. In the framework of the project country-based workshops and analyses projects are organized in order to boost the digitalization in African countries;
- May 2019 – „E-governance Educational workshop“ in Cote d’Ivoire in partnership with African Union. The main aim of the workshop was to raise participants’ awareness about governmental interoperability processes and give practical experiences, skills how to build secure digital solutions in their countries.
- May 2019 – participation in Transform Africa 2019. Estonian ICT Cluster presented e-governance competences (listen the radio-show, TV-news).
- September 2019 – Participation at Union for the Mediterranean Conference on Digital Transformation and Digital Skills for the Future in Tallinn.
- October 2019 – Workshop for the delegation of the Senate of Kenya
- October 2019 – Participation at the 3rd Tanzania Annual ICT Conference, sharing expertise and know-how on several e-Governance topics.
- November 2019 – e-Governance workshop for the delegation of the Office of the Prime Minister.
- January 2020 – e-Governance workshop for the delegation of the National Assembly of Botswana.
Doris Põld, Estonian ICT Cluster manager
P: +372 6177 145 M: +372 511 4411
Jana Silaškova, e-Governance Project Manager
M: +372 5340 5200